Friday, February 6, 2009

Poetry Break! African American Poetry

Introduction:
This poem is about how Langston Hughes wrote poetry, but also what it meant to him. Share a short anecdote about why you enjoy poetry.

Poetry Means the World to Me
by Tony Medina

Poetry means the world to me
it’s how I laugh and sing
how I cry and ask why

Poetry comforts me
when I use jazz or
the blues or the way
regular folks talk -
the language
they use

Word’s don’t always
have to be neat
and polished
like a statue

They should be
used used used
to say what you like
or don’t like
what you see think
or feel -

Words to fight against
hate and unnecessary
suffering

Poetry is what I use
to say
I love you

(from Love to Langston by Tony Medina)

Extension:
The book includes historical fact from Hughes’s life which can be used to lead a discussion on why a poet would decide to write about everyday people and the injustices that they face daily. Discuss how that affects the writing of the poem or how the reader understands the poem. Re-read the poem. Also you can ask the students to consider what means the world to them and if they would write about those topics.

Reference:
Medina, T. 2002. LOVE TO LANGSTON. Ill. by R. Gregory Christie. New York, NY: Lee & Low Books Inc. ISBN 1584300418.

No comments: